Thursday, July 21, 2005

Brooks Embarrasses Citizen Cain

David Brooks takes as his theme in today’s New York Times column, Judge Roberts, "how do I love thee? Let me count the ways." Oops sorry, that’s not right. It’s "Roberts nomination, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways" (emphasis added).

How do you embarrass me, David Brooks? Let me count the ways. Brooks loves the nomination because it shows the greatness of the Dear Leader, and because the nominee is a conservative who isn’t an ideological warrior, one who lacks the outsider/dissident mentality. How can we tell? Because Roberts lives in DC’s Maryland suburbs, not the Virginia ones. Because Roberts "submitted his wedding notice to the wedding page of The New York Times, which is perceived as alien turf by ideological conservatives." (I'm not kidding! Check the link) Because his wife is active "in the culturally heterodox Feminists for Life."

I’d like to explain how stupid this is, but I’m too embarrassed to go on. So instead I will link to Andrew Sullivan, who provides a brief explanation.
|